I’m actually pretty ashamed that it has taken me so long to accept this ! I’m really really grateful, and wish I could have done it sooner, but I would rather take my time and think about this post, than rush it. So please, do excuse me!
My Adventures in Nail Art nominated me back in March – again, a big thank you, I’m really flattered !
Here are the rules:
The recipient must post 11 fun facts about themselves
The recipient must also answer 11 questions created by the award giver
The recipient must give the award to 11 new bloggers with less than 200 followers and post 11 questions for them to answer
These 11 bloggers must be told they have been given the award
They will in turn pass the award on to 11 new bloggers of their choice (no tagging back the award giver)
So first of all, here are my ‘fun facts’ – I try to think of new ones each time, please excuse me if I do repeat myself !
- I have a thing for stationary. It doesn’t have to be designer or anything, I can spend hours just picking out some coloured pens.
- I love comics. Not so much the ‘big names’, but anything published by 2000AD (the inventor of Judge Dredd)
- The Kabuki collection of graphic novels by David Mack are my prize possession (sorry, even more than my polish stash) – Naughty Kitty spilt red wine all over them with her silly tail. She is still alive.
- I also love science magazines. There are a couple of French ones I read, but the obsession started with New Scientist. I don’t necessarily understand it all, but the magazine is sooo shiny!
- I’m lactose intolerant. Not much fun living in France, where every dish seems to be prepared with copious amounts of cream…
- I also love strategy computer games. I literally spend hours (well, not often, but when I can) pretending to be Genghis Khan on Civilisation V
- Also on the Genghis Khan note, somehow I discovered that a traditional Mongolian tea is called salt tea. It’s really strong green or black tea with milk and a bit of salt. It’s pretty nice, actually !
- I also love to make origami flowers. I did a whole bunch to cover an Ikea LED lamp, it’s pretty cute
- I totally cannot get to sleep without a book in my hands. That used to drive my mum mad. I had trouble sleeping for years and years, and though I could probably sleep fine now, it’s like a security thing
- I don’t understand Instagram. I’m not that old, I just don’t get it… I signed up for an account, but have really not got the hang of it
- When I was 14/15, I spent a whole summer holiday coding a fanpage on NeoPets (anyone remember that?). It was the best summer ever. Then I discovered boys. Oops!
Here are the questions I get to answer
1. What nail polish makes you feel happiest?
Right now, Magnifique by Darling Diva. It’s the only polish any brand has ever offered to send me free, and is also totally exclusive to Darling Diva in France. Plus, I totally love it !
2. What products do you use to take care of you nails and hands?
Every night, I moisturise my hands with Neutrogena intense care. I try to remember to do that during the day, too, but usually forget. Otherwise, not much, but I do like Nourish Me by Essie for my base coat. That said, right now I am trying Nail Envy – that’s pretty good too, though it is twice the price.
3. What would you prefer to spend your money on: one high quality brand nail polish or several cheap polishes?
When I first started blogging, I used silk wraps on my nails, so any polish I put on wasn’t directly on my nail bed. So I didn’t mind using cheap polish with nasties in it ! But now, I paint my nails directly, so I love brands that are 3- or 4-free, and would rather buy a high quality brand. Luckily, there are loads out there !
4. Do you ever do nail art or manicures on your friends’ nails, or only ever on your own?
A bit of both. Mostly my own, because I live far out from most of my friends, so it’s complicated to organise.
5. Are there any techniques you really want to try but haven’t done yet?
I’ve bought some feathers to try, I’m squeamish about birds, so I might only be able to touch them with tweezers, but they are so pretty!
6. How do you photograph your manicures?
I use a Sony DSC-S3000. It’s kinda mid-range, we bought it for holiday photos. But it does work pretty well, and I’m lucky enough to have great lighting at home, so no light box. My photos have improved loads since I started using a tripod though, I do recommend that ! I’m kinda hit-and-miss and will take about 5 photos for every one published…
7. What has been your greatest nail achievement so far?
I’m really proud of my Grey Wolf Mani – it got great feedback
8. How often do you change your manicure?
I work in tourism, so in down season, almost every day. When peak season comes around, maybe only once a week !
9. Do you paint your toenails too?
Yes, but I don’t post pictures of them. I hate feet. Sorry !
10. What nail art tool is your favourite to use?
Right now, I’m using more and more acrylic paint. I tried to get a slot with tartofraises, who is like, the best at one stroke, but she’s busy, and didn’t sound too interested (I got a “please contact me another time”-type email). So I’ll work it out myself !
11. What would you wear on your nails if you were having a winter wedding in the snow? (serious question – I need inspiration!)
It totally depends on your colour scheme, but I’d go with some kind of holo polish – all the light reflecting off the snow will make that look awesome, maybe with some one-stroke flowers over the top
My nominees – some are new, some are not so new, I totally recommend them all
Amy Kate from Ooh La La Nails – totally new, totally awesome, and totally nice !
Eeek Nail Polish! – one of my nail heros, Jemma is amazing
Erin from Black Sheep Lacquer - to keep my lemming list nice and long
Jacqui from CraftyNail – what, she doesn’t have a Liebster?! I need to right this wrong…
Dani at Why Only For Parties? – Dani’s a sweetheart and a great blogger – you need to follow her. Yes, need to
Gin Shivers’ Blog – I only just found out about her blog, I think she’s quite new, but she’s going great guns – one to watch…
Julie from Short and Sweet in Texas – she has a wicked nail art challenge going on, too !
Love for Nail Art – I only just discovered this one, and it’s a great blog
Painted Nails and Baking Scales – Two reasons : Cake ! Nail Polish !
Polish Armoire – another brand new blog, but really great potential, I can’t wait to see how her blog grows
Sakura Nail Art (in French) – gorgeous nails, lovely girl – needs an award
So, ladies, for those of you who would like to accept this award, your 11 questions are here! Some are serious, some are fun :
- What made you start blogging?
- Do your ‘real life’ friends and family know about your blog? Do they follow?
- How many blogs do you follow?
- Are they all beauty blogs?
- What is your must-have nail polish right now?
- Your favourite nail art technique?
- Do you take part in nail art challenges?
- Are you more of a summer or winter person?
- How do you store your nail polish?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?
- If you were a biscuit, what type of biscuit would you be?